Member and Volunteer Coordinator
The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul of Vancouver Island has been supporting people in need on Vancouver Island since 1916, and we celebrated our 100th anniversary September 27th 2016. Focused on impacting the lives of people affected by poverty, the Society offers emergency relief services while maintaining a focus and commitment to addressing the root causes that contribute to poverty in our communities. The Society currently provides 132 units of supportive and affordable housing, including the additional 42 units that came online in September 2016 with the opening of Rosalie’s Village in Saanich. Saint Vincent de Paul provides a wide range of community supports through the Social Concern Program including a food bank, home visit program, education, training and emergency rent/utility payments. Through the Ozanam Centre the Society operates a community integration program for persons with developmental disabilities, helping people achieve a higher quality of life. Believing in sustainable development, the Society operates 2 thrift stores that contribute to both financial sustainability and the provision of clothing and household items to those in need. More than 200 people make up the Society membership, supported by more than 300 volunteers and 75 staff.
The Member and Volunteer Coordinator is an enthusiastic, mission-driven and experienced individual who thrives on a challenging and dynamic work environment. This position plays a key role in building and conveying the mission and values of the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul to our members and volunteers; maintaining membership/volunteer records; identifying and cultivating new members and volunteers; and developing marketing campaigns for our programs and resources.
This position reports to the Executive Director.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as main contact person for all member and volunteer inquiries
- Serves as a main contact for inquiries from youth groups, schools and service clubs that assist the Society throughout the year and maintains existing relationships.
- Develop and execute successful strategies to recruit and orient new members and volunteers.
- Manage the membership/volunteer application process, including applying for their Ministry of Justice Clearance letters.
- Maintain member/volunteer ShareVision data system to ensure accuracy and completeness of member/volunteer information.
- Work closely with other SSVP staff to inform members and volunteers of services and opportunities within SSVP; assist with the execution of email and other marketing efforts.
- Assist with member community activities.
- Prepare membership/volunteer marketing material.
- Assist with member/volunteer communication activities that increase membership and volunteers at SSVP and increase the use of online resources.
- Prepare organizational marketing materials to reflect depth, reach and impact of the Society and distributes that to media (Parish/Diocese/Newspapers/On line etc. as approved by the Executive Director)
- Process correspondence including acknowledgement of gifts.
- Represent the Society at events and functions as required.
- Collect, analyze, and report member/volunteer feedback on Society programs and events.
- Evaluate and report on effectiveness of all membership/volunteer and communications efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety
- Follow safe work procedures and act safely in the workplace at all times. Use the protective clothing, devices, and equipment provided. Co-operate with joint occupational health and safety committees, worker health and safety representatives, WorkSafeBC prevention officers, and anybody with health and safety duties.
- Be alert to hazards. Report them immediately to your supervisor or employer. Follow safe work procedures and act safely in the workplace at all times. Get treatment quickly should an injury happen on the job and tell the health care provider that the injury is work-related.
- Demonstrated experience in member and volunteer management; use ShareVision database.
- Ability to think strategically, anticipating future developments and planning accordingly; proactively identify issues and generate recommendations.
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and balance competing priorities; experience in planning multi-step projects and reaching milestones on time without sacrificing accuracy and quality.
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills; effective verbal communication skills.
- Takes initiative, demonstrates creativity, personable and has a high level of professionalism
- Comfort working independently, as well as part of a team; proactively collaborate with Society staff, members and other stakeholders on relevant projects.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com