Social Concern Program Manager
Job Title: Social Concern Program Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Team: Support Services Team
Location: 833 Yates Street.
Authority Level: Supervises staff and volunteers
Pay Rate: 27.75-28.85
Hours: 8am - 4pm
The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul of Vancouver Island has been supporting people in need on Vancouver Island since 1916, and we celebrated our 100th anniversary September 27th 2016. Focused on impacting the lives of people affected by poverty, the Society offers emergency relief services while maintaining a focus and commitment to addressing the root causes that contribute to poverty in our communities. The Society currently provides 132 units of supportive and affordable housing, including the additional 42 units that came online in September 2016 with the opening of Rosalie’s Village in Saanich. Saint Vincent de Paul provides a wide range of community supports through the Social Concern Program including a food bank, home visit program, education, training and emergency rent/utility payments. Through the Ozanam Centre the Society operates a community integration program for persons with developmental disabilities, helping people achieve a higher quality of life. Believing in sustainable development, the Society operates 6 thrift stores that contribute to both financial sustainability and the provision of clothing and household items to those in need. More than 200 people make up the Society membership, supported by more than 300 volunteers and 75 staff.
The Social Concern Program (SCO) Manager is responsible for the day to day operation of the downtown Social Concern Office, including the food bank, day programs, and client advocacy and extended food security programs throughout the Society. The person in this position supervises employees and volunteers and liaises with external agencies and partners. The Manager provides support and direction to clients as required. This position reports to the Executive Director.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
· Provides leadership and guidance in the development, implementation and evaluation of all food security programs throughout the Society and services at the Yates St. SCO, ensuring excellence in service delivery for our clients;
· Ensures effective program delivery consistent with the Society’s mandate and policy, legal, contractual, budgetary and other requirements. May develop of make recommendations for the development of new program areas.
· Works closely with the Executive Director and the Director of Finance and Administration in the implementation of operational plans for the program and in assessing, developing operational policies and resolving operational issues.
· Provides direct leadership to staff and volunteers, focusing on creating a positive and solution focused environment;
· Monitors the service delivery of professionals, resources and other workers, volunteers and members (where required); assisting and providing various services to clients for structure, consistency, quality of guidance/ supervision, suitability of activities, caring etc. Discusses problem situations and remedies; provides policy, technical and practical guidance to staff as required and may participate directly in the provision of services to resolve difficult or sensitive issues or problems.
· Determines program, resource/budgetary, operational and organizational requirements for all new and existing programs within their responsibility area; develops comprehensive plans and strategies to achieve identified objectives.
· Works with the Executive Director to establish annual measurable outcomes and ensures progress toward those goals;
· Works collaboratively with colleagues to ensure efficiency, teamwork, and consistency throughout the support services team;
· Ability to function independently and frequently under pressure while managing multiple concurrent projects and deadlines including effectively managing emergency situations is an ongoing expectation.
· Participation at meetings, conferences and other program related activities might involve long workdays and/or evening/weekend work.
· Other duties as assigned by direct supervisor.
Yates Street Social Concern Office
- Works with partners to ensure appropriate referral and support opportunities are available to SCO clients;
- Manages the SCO budget, holding authority and accountability for area expenditures;
- Maintains through donation drives and purchasing, adequate food and supply stocks within the Choice Pantry to support SCO services including food security programs.
Food Security Programming
- Prepares reports/ conducts studies, makes presentations as required by their supervisor. Maintains a current awareness of developments in assigned field/ program/ agency related to effective services based on community need, food security and food literacy.
- Ensures the coordination of food security programs such as: community gardens, community kitchens, etc.,
- Work with the Executive Director to compile grant applications and comply with grant reporting requirements to build food security programming within the Society.
- Supervises, develops and motivates staff and volunteers to: attain program objectives; ensure effective planning and management; accountability to community partners and funders.
- Ensures consistent application of agency policies including human resource policies related to hiring, performance appraisal, discipline, grievance resolution and discharge.
- Oversees the coordination and/ or facilitation of training for staff and volunteers on an as needed basis;
Health and Safety
· Ensures that building maintenance and repair needs of the program are met such as: carrying out a preventative maintenance program, organizing minor repairs, painting and / or applying protective or other coatings, supervising general improvements to the building.
· Checks safety/security equipment and arranges replacements; reports unsafe or faulty equipment to supervisor; arranges for and monitors major repair and maintenance work.
· Ensures records, files and documentation is complete and in accordance with the Society policies and procedures for buildings under responsibility area.
Responsible for ensuring that all food programs are being operated within provincial safe food guidelines.
As a supervisor as defined by WorkSafeBC the Manager of Social Concern Program responsibilities will:
· Ensure the health and safety of all workers under your direct supervision.
· Know the WorkSafeBC requirements that apply to the work under your supervision and make sure those requirements are met.
· Ensure workers under your supervision are aware of all known hazards.
· Ensure workers under your supervision have the appropriate personal protective equipment, which is being used properly, regularly inspected, and maintained.
· Completion of a degree/diploma in Community Development, Social Work, Human Services, Food Service or related field;
· Minimum 3 years’ experience working with vulnerable populations, including families; Robust knowledge of community resources and programs;
· A strong understanding of issues and best practice related to food security and community best practice.
· Positive and friendly attitude;
· Strong oral and written communication skills;
· Crisis intervention skills, with well-developed problem-solving abilities;
· Team player who can work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
· Should be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision;
· Be able to work well under pressure and with competing priorities.
Please submit resumé and cover letter to the Indeed link
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $27.75-$28.85 per hour