Summer Student- Thrift Store Retail Clerk
Summer Student- Thrift Store Retail Clerk
The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul of Vancouver Island has been supporting people in need on Vancouver Island since 1916. Focused on impacting the lives of people affected by poverty, the Society offers emergency relief services while maintaining a focus and commitment to addressing the root causes that contribute to poverty in our communities. The Society currently provides 128 units of supportive and affordable housing serving women and children, seniors and people facing homelessness. Saint Vincent de Paul provides a wide range of community supports through the Social Concern Program including a food pantry, home visit program, education, training, and emergency rent/utility payments. Through the Ozanam Centre, the Society operates a community integration program for persons with developmental disabilities, helping people achieve a higher quality of life. Believing in sustainable development, the Society operates two thrift stores that contribute to both financial sustainability and the provision of clothing and household items to those in need. More than 160 people make up the Society membership, supported by more than 150 volunteers and 75 staff.
The Store Clerk Assists store customers in donating, selecting, and purchasing store items; operates and maintains a cash register; responds to customer’s questions; maintains the cleanliness and orderliness of the store displays; ensures the security of store items and the cash register.
The Sorting and Receiving Worker receives, sorts, prices and prepares donated items for display in the store; determines suitability and pricing of items based on established standards; assists in maintaining the orderliness and cleanliness of the sorting area.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this position. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this job description.
Store Clerk Responsibilities
- Assist customers purchasing items from The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul of Vancouver Island by ringing up sales utilizing a cash register; collect monies, count change and prepare receipts; prepare and package purchased items; prepare and balance the cash drawer and runs routine register print-outs; prepare and deliver bank deposits; ensure the security and accountability of all cash register funds and sales records in accordance with established operating procedures.
- Prepare, process, and maintain various sales records and social service vouchers; prepare routine sales reports as directed.
- Maintain the neatness and security of the cash register area; ensure that forms, bags, etc. are adequately stocked.
- Assist customers by explaining store policy and responding to questions regarding the pricing and/or purchasing of items; ensure that all customers visiting the store have a pleasant experience.
- Assist customers who are donating items to The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul; direct customers to the proper loading/unloading area, may assist with hauling donations to the storage area; prepare and provide tax receipts as needed.
- Place and arrange items in the store as directed; check all store displays to ensure that items are maintained and displayed in a neat and orderly manner; rotate and/or rearrange stock as directed; return items to the proper location after customers have handled.
- Answer the store telephone in a tactful and courteous manner; assist customers by responding to questions and providing directions and/or general information; may schedule and record donation pick-ups.
- Clean all display racks and shelves; sweep and mops floors; clean windows and mirrors; ensure that the store is maintained in a clean and inviting manner
- Open and /or close store doors in accordance with the store schedule.
Sorting and Receiving Worker Responsibilities
- Interact with donor public in a courteous manner.
- Be prepared to refuse unsuitable donations in a polite manner.
- Help donors unload donations from their vehicle.
- Repack or re-bag donations, if necessary, for easy and safe transportation to sorting depot.
- Help unload and reload Society truck on delivery day, when applicable.
- Sort from donations, box and carry into store for pricing such as hard goods (dishes, glassware etc.), pictures and frames, linens, and any new packaged items.
- Lock and unlock storage shed, garbage bin.
- Put down and roll up awnings over the windows and back doors.
- Keep donation storage are in a tidy, safe and clean manner.
- Move boxes and goods in workroom or store, as required.
- Empty garbage containers at end of each day.
- Pack plastic bags (and other goods, as required) for shipment to other stores.
- Pack theme boxes and store in designated areas.
- Assist in:
- Cleaning and maintenance of store and exterior of property.
- Culling stock from sales floor, if required.
- Sorting, pricing, displaying of merchandise, under direction.
- Packaging of merchandise for the sales floor.
- Loading heavy purchases into customer vehicles.
- Assist in pricing and tagging items in the store in accordance with established procedures.
- Assist customers in carrying purchased/donated items in/out of the store.
- May assist in answering the telephone; provides general information and records messages.
- Assists in monitoring work of volunteers working in store.
- Contribute to the safety of staff and customers (e.g. snow removal, clear fire exits, no obstacles inside/outside store, cleans spillage and maintains store cleanliness.
- Alert Manager of all emergency situations with difficult customers.
- Adhere to all SSVP published policies, practices and procedures, including Occupational Health and Safety.
WorkSafe BC Employee Responsibility
- Follow safe work procedures and act safely in the workplace at all times. Use the protective clothing, devices, and equipment provided. Co-operate with joint occupational health and safety committees, worker health and safety representatives, WorkSafe BC prevention officers, and anybody with health and safety duties.
- Be alert to hazards. Report them immediately to your supervisor or employer. Follow safe work procedures and act safely in the workplace at all times. Get treatment quickly should an injury happen on the job and tell the health care provider that the injury is work-related.
- Other assigned duties, as required.
- High School diploma or G.E.D. and experience working in a retail store preferred, or any equivalent combination of training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Ability to meet attendance requirements.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate the English language.
- Ability to operate a cash register.
- Ability to perform routine mathematical computations and count change.
- Ability to sort items in accordance with established categories.
- Ability to determine the condition of items in accordance with established standards.
- Ability to follow instructions and work independently.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift heavy objects.
- Excellent customer services skills
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of basic mathematics.
- Ministry of Justice Vulnerable Sector Clearance Letter is required prior to employment
- Must be between the ages of 15 and 30 years.